Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Kale on Toast
One of the big challenges of a whole-food, plant-based diet is learning to cook without eggs or oils. Eggs are useful for binding foods and to start cooking the first step is often to add an oil to the frying pan or saucepan to fry onions.
Instead of frying foods, try cooking with water – keeping the lid on the pan to ensure that the water does not evaporate. Add water as required.
- Herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, coriander, pepper)
- Ripe, medium-sized tomatoes
- Kale or any other favourite leafy green vegetable
- Place a little water in the bottom of a saucepan
- Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic
- Cook with lid on pan until onion is soft, ensuring that sufficient water remains in the saucepan.
- Add chopped mushrooms and herbs and cook until soft. The mushrooms will create liquid in the pan.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place in the pan with the cut side up. Sprinkle with additional herbs.
- Place finely chopped leafy greens in the top of the pan and steam until all vegetables are cooked.
- Served with toast using your favourite spread.
Last updated on Friday 2 December 2022 at 21:07 by administrators