A tasty and easy main meal.
- ½ cups brown/green lentils. Soak lentils for 4 hours in cold water.
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 2 tblsp tamari (soy source)
- 2 400g cans of tomatoes or 8 fresh tomatoes
- 3 tblsp tomato paste
- sesame seeds
- nutritional yeast
- chopped parsley
- 5 potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ broccoli or cauliflower cut into florets.
- Other vegetables may be used such as pumpkin, sweet potato or cabbage.
Place lentils in large pan and cover with water. Bring lentils to boil then simmer 15- 20 minutes until soft. Strain in a sieve and put aside.
Whilst lentils are cooking, heat oil in large pan and cook onion and garlic in a small amount of water until softened. Add chilli flakes or herbs and cook for 2 mins.
Add cooked lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste and tamari. Gently heat lentil mixture.
Steam potatoes, carrots, broccoli / cauliflower until just cooked. Add to lentil mixture.
For a special occasion, you can serve in a serving dish. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and sesame seeds.
Garnish with parsley.
Serves 4 – 6 people.